The Dojo is a sacred place where we train ourselves physically and mentally.
The student should respect the Dojo and observe the following etiquette.
1. The student should observe the training schedule. The student must try not to be late or absent for training. Inform the sensei in either case.
2. Before entering the Dojo, remove outer clothing such as coat, scarf and hat. After taking off your shoes at the entrance, place them neatly in order. If you find some shoes in disorder, place them in order too.
3. If a senior student (sempai) is standing behind you at the entrance, let him /her goes in first.
4. Upon entering the Dojo floor, bow and say “May I enter Sensei”"Onegai shimasu" meaning "Please help
me (for my training)", clearly and cheerfully.
5. Always be polite to your instructor, senior students and elders.
6. Before starting practice, go to the toilet.
7. Always keep your Dogi (training uniform) clean and tidy, and practice in clean training clothes.
8. Beware of your physical condition. Do not force yourself to do the impossible.
9. Keep your fingernails and toe nails short and clean and do not wear any sharp metal articles (such as watch, necklace or rings…etc) to prevent injury to other students as well as yourself when practicing together.
10. Do Not eat too much for an hour before practice.
11. Upon entering or leaving the dojo, show respect by bowing to the dojo.
12. Do not forget to do Warm-up exercises before practice, even if you are
13. When you observe the training at the dojo, sit in proper way, and do not
stretch your leg out, put your hand on your lap. And do not chat, or criticize
other people's skill while watching.
14. When an instructor (or Sempai) calls "SHUGO" for training begin, line up
smartly, facing the dojo (or a pre-fixed direction). Ensure that you are standing in the correct place and your senior (senpai) is to your right. If there are two lines and you are in the back line, ensure that you stand exactly behind your senior. If you are in the front line- turn around briefly to help the juniors into correct positions.
15. While practicing, listen carefully and seriously to the advice and
instructions given to you (also from Sempai)
16. When you use the training equipment, handle it with care, and be sure to put it back in the correct place after using it.
17. When the instructor (or any Sempai) gives you some advice, listen
carefully and sincerely. Don't forget to show that you have heard and
understood the advice.
18. The instructor should always observe the physical condition of each
student. Take a short break in the middle of the training period.
19. Five minutes before the end of training, do the"cooling down" exercises.
20. Make yourself calm and quiet, concentrate your mind and recite the
Precepts of the Dojo (DOJO KUN)
21. When Sempai calls for "REI", bow to the sensei with respect and say
Arigato gozaimashita”(thank you very much). Also to senior students and each
other with appreciation and respect. Remember to thank anyone who gives you advice on karate.
22. Students should ask the seniors if they have any question about the
trainings. This is important to study about karate always.
26. When you are injured, do not practice until the injury is completely
healed. Watch the training during these periods.
27. DO NOT SMOKE! Cigarettes damage your health in innumerable ways, and does not have even one redeeming feature.
28. Either drink alcohol in moderation or not all. Never come to the dojo if
you have had any alcohol.
29. When leaving the dojo, bow and say:”Arigato Gozaimashita” (thank you
very much), “SHITSUREI SHIMASU!" ( means: Excuse me I am leaving now ).
30. Turn off your mobile phone during training.